Chemical Pollutants • VOCs
Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) are a large group of carbon-based chemicals that easily evaporate at room temperature. While most people can smell high levels of some VOCs, other VOCs have no odor. Many types of VOCs are toxic or even deadly to humans and can be detrimental to the environment. Persons with respiratory problems such as asthma, young children, elderly, and persons with heightened sensitivity to chemicals may be more susceptible to irritation and illness from VOCs.
Ozone is a reactive gas and one of nature's most powerful oxidizing agents, capable of neutralizing VOCs by pulling electrons away from them. SanusAer® high output ozone generators have a patent pending design (our exclusive Vertical Flow System) that delivers pure ozone gas effectively into targeted treatment area, destroying VOCs chemically, while leaving no residue behind as ozone reverts back to clean breathable oxygen after a treatment.
Problem: VOCs refer to a group of chemicals, Volatile Organic Compounds. Each chemical has its own toxicity and potential for causing different health effects. Common symptoms of exposure to VOCs include: Eye, nose and throat irritation; Headaches; Nausea / Vomiting; Dizziness; and Worsening of asthma symptoms. The symptoms of long term exposure are even more serious: Cancer; Liver damage; Kidney damage; and Central Nervous System damage. Because the toxicity of a VOC varies for each individual chemical, there are no federal health-based standards for VOCs as a group.
Solution: The first step is to conduct an inspection of the space for the common sources of VOCs. Sources that may be problematic include furnishings (which tend to off-gas more VOC’s when they are new), carpet, paint, plastics or electronic devices. The second step is to remove the known sources, (where possible), and thus, minimize exposure. The third step is to treat the area with high output ozone generators in order to chemically eliminate the remaining VOCs.
Because it is a reactive gas, it will oxidize VOCs anywhere air currents travel. Additionally, ozone is very safe when treatments are conducted in unoccupied spaces, and leaves no chemical residue behind, because it converts back into clean breathable oxygen after the treatment. SanusAer® ozone shock treatments are 100% safe, and ozone is currently being used to treat the food we eat and the water we drink.
Note: A SanusAer® high output ozone generator can only be used in a building that is vacant. Often treatments can be conducted in less than 24 hours, plenty of time to treat for VOCs. If there is an HVAC unit, the fan can be turned to the 'ON' position during treatments to help distribute the gas.