How Ozone Generators Work
Buy The Right Size Ozone Generator
The following chart provides basic guidelines to help you decide what size ozone generator(s) best meet your needs. For more detailed treatment information, please see the larger chart at the bottom of this page.
Prior To Ozone Generator Treatment
- Test the generaator to ensure that it is operating properly by:
- Making sure that the fan(s) are operating and air is blowing out of the top.
- Listen for the sparking of the ozone plates generating the ozone.
- You should be able to smell the ozone scent within 5 seconds of turning the generator on.
- Check the plates to make sure they are glowing (easier to see in a darkened room).
- Odor can be an indicator of the level of pollutants in an area.
- Identifying and eliminating the source of the problem is necessary before treatment, or the problem, can re-occur:
- Identify and eliminate the source of moisture in mold / mildew situations. Install a moisture barrier or a dehumidifier when applicable.
- Identify and eliminate the source of the VOCs causing an odor.
- Identify and remove decomposing organic material.
- Repeat ozone machine treatments may be necessary to fully address an issue.
Ozone Treatment Protocols: Daily Disinfection & Shock Treatments
- Ozone Generators are designed for indoor use only, operate in a dry environment only. Always read the manual before operating any electrical device.
- Close off and secure the area being treated, shutting all doors and windows. Allowing some outside air (crack a window) to feed the unit with "fresh" oxygen will improve the unit's performance. The outside air will not reduce the effectiveness of the ozone generator treatment, as the gas will still concentrate and build potency. Remember, the ozone machine does require oxygen to generate ozone, a fresh supply of outside air is helpful.
- Post signage warning outsiders from entering the area while the ozone generator is in use.
- ALL People, Pets, and Plants must be vacated from the area during the treatment.
- The gas must have unobstructed access to every surface, therefore, it is recommended that all internal doors, cabinets, drawers, etc. are left open, so the gas will flow freely.
- The output of the ozone generator improves in lower humidity environments. Drying out the space prior to treatment, will extend the life of the unit.
- Because ozone is heavier than air, it may be necessary to elevate the ozone machine to ensure adequate gas distribution.
- In larger areas, treatments can be enhanced by utilizing fans to help circulate the gas. In buildings, central HVAC systems on "fan mode" will also aid in the distribution of the gas, while sanitizing the system ducts.
DAILY DISINFECTION TREATMENTS (see Disinfect Daily Tab for more details)
- Locate the SanusAer Ozone Generator in the center of the space.
- Elevate the generator if possible
- Keep away from materials that can block generator's input/output
- Keep away from flammable materials
- Set the timer for 1 - 2 hours maximum (suggest starting at midnight).
- Make sure generator is off a minimum of 3 - 4 hours before re-entry.
- No People, Pet, or Plants can be in the treatment area while running the generator.
- DO NOT run the ozone generator constantly, instead, using the timer, cycle the ozone machine on and off (see the guidelines below) to allow for the most effective treatment. Stronger odors require more treatment time however, every situation is different*:
* The above chart is only a guideline, and every situation is unique. Sometimes, multiple treatments may be required.
After Ozone Generator Treatment
- When you return to an area after an ozone treatment, you'll detect the aroma of "ultra fresh” air, free from any mal-odors.
- Many have described this "ultra fresh" smell as the fragrance of cloths that have just come off an outdoor clothes line. Others have described it as the smell of the ocean, or the air after a thunderstorm.
- Ozone is created during lightening strikes in a thunderstorm and the waves of the ocean and is nature’s way of cleaning the environment. Ozone Generators create the same result by bringing the power of Mother Nature to bear on indoor air pollution.
- The fresh air aroma, a pleasant benefit of an ozone shock treatment, will usually dissipate within a few days. What remains are the odors of the natural wood, slate, stone or other building materials. The treatment safely eliminates the unpleasant odors, allergens, biological pollutants and VOCs.
- Oils from the skin can leave a residue on hard surfaces (such as a kitchen table). These oils will be attacked by the ozone, which will oxidize them, and leave the surface "tacky." The same can be said for TV remotes, or cabinet handles, literally any high contact items. They can be cleaned with warm soapy water to remove this tack.
- Though ozone is a gas that is more than 1,000 times more powerful than Chlorine bleach, it is a green technology that leaves no chemical residues behind.